Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Poetry from my Frustrated Mind

I write poetry. It helps me vent. It helps me focus. It helps me relax. I write poetry that expresses what I otherwise can't express. I have often told people that I am attempting to write a novel and that when my brain won't let me do that (see writer's block), I write short stories. When I can't write short stories (see Writer's Brick Wall), I write poetry. And when I come upon the literary Fort Knox and can't write poetry, I'm totally and completely useless and can consider the world as we know it to be over.

So here's an example of one of my expressions of frustration in regards to my work. After a particularly frustrating day with a particular large and overbearing client (Kira know's who I'm talking about!!), I wrote this:

Untitled (So far...)

Autism is a world not my own.
I am granted glances in to that world
so foreign and strange
so complex, so beyond my understanding.
The world of Autism is closed to me
but for brief glimpses behind beautiful eyes.
Precious faces
show me a distant land where I am only permitted to visit
"By invitation only."
A rare and short stay.
Minutes, seconds, never more
Before the door closes
and I am forbidden entrance
by that stoic guard of flesh and bone
who hides the person in the world within.
A different sort of person
from you or I.
Living in a body in our world,
but in spirit,
in a world of their own.


I love my job. I couldn't do it if I didn't. But some days are harder than others, for sure. Thank my Lord that I have an outlet like poetry to help me through the bad days. I pray that everyone can find their own outlet to help them through rough and frustrating times.

No comments: