Friday, January 23, 2009

Everyday Angels

It has been, I will freely admit, a nightmarish week. We found an apartment that we love and want to move into and our application was approved. The landlady told us to bring ha;f of our deposit in on Monday. Of course, what none of us remembered was that Monday was a holiday and absolutely everything was closed. Oy. So she told us to bring it in on Tuesday. So D went in to get the money to put into a money order (the new rental company only accepts money orders. Frustrating and dang inconvenient, but...what are we to do???)only to find out that the bank issued credit card that is extremely overdrawn and past due found out that D is in the process of filing for bankruptcy and went into the checking account and took $450 out. They did this without informing us, which apparently they have full authorization to do, and so we paid our bills thinking that there was money in the account from the recent paychecks that I deposited, and the account was $300+ overdrawn.

Can you say PANIC???????

So D calls me in hysterics and I start to panic. I mean, our lease is up in 2 weeks, we absolutely cannot afford to keep paying $625 for rent plus all of our other bills and the new rental company can't hold our apartment without the deposit. What are we going to do? We have exactly $46 to our names between us, in cash and we're already past the deadline for turning in part of the money. It seems like we're totally and completely screwed.

But someone is looking out for us.

I call the rental agency and explain that there were some "technical difficulties" at the bank (a nifty way of saying it without actually explaining the embarrassing truth) and they agree to hold the apartment with a $200 deposit due by Wednesday, and the remaining $175 (to equal 1/2 the deposit) by Friday (when I get paid) and they are allowing us to pay the remaining half of the deposit in small increments added onto our monthly rent as long as it's completed by March. Hallelujah.

Now, if we can only come up with that $200...enter another angel.

My wonderful and amazing friend and coworker, Deni, loaned us the $200 out of her school money and child support money. Now, understand, I was very much against this, as Deni is a single mom of 3, soon to be 4, little children. SHe works full time and is going to school. She really is a superwoman. I resisted and refused until she very politely kicked me in the butt and explained that she would not offer to help unless she knew that she could afford it. "All my bills are paid, my kids have food and clothes, no one is wanting for anything. If I thought otherwise, I wouldn't offer. So shut up and take it." Well, I guess that settled things. :D

So things are working out much better than we could have possibly expected. We have earthly angels looking out for us, all under the watchful care of our wonderful Heavenly Father. I'm thankful every day for the simple miracles and wonderful gifts that we receive.

No comments: